There’s so much written about New York and everyone has an opinion about what to see and do…so I thought I’d write down my suggestions. So here it is…my Top 5 in New York.
- Take the Hop-On Hop-Off Bus. If you buy the 48 hour ticket then you get routes that include downtown, uptown, Brooklyn, a night tour and a ferry ride…which is really a great way to see Manhattan and gives you a different view of the city. The bus is frequent and the downtown loop will take you past all the major tourist attractions. It’s also a fantastic way to get your bearings!
- Go up high!! Whether you go up the Empire State Building or Rockefeller Centre, make it a must do on your New York list. I was there post 9/11 and so the skyline was very different then, as it is now, with the Freedom Tower rising above in Lower Manhattan.
- Visit an art gallery or museum. This might be an obvious choice, but the number of options can be overwhelming for a first time visit. Do your research ahead of time to zero in on what you want to see. I chose the Museum of Natural History and it didn’t disappoint.
- Take your time and just wander the different neighbourhoods. SoHo, Nolita, Chinatown, the Meatpacking District and Highline, TriBeCa, Greenwich Village, and more. They all have their own charm and sites to see. There’s shops and cafes and numerous restaurants to visit. Enjoy just walking and exploring this great city!
- My number 5 is relax in a park!! Although Central Park is most people’s go-to park, and there is no doubt it is beautiful and you could spend the better part of a day there, don’t overlook the smaller parks this city has to offer. Battery Park provides great water views, Washington Square is perfect for people watching, and Bryant Park is an oasis amongst the concrete! I personally loved just sitting in this park. Located right behind the NY Public Library it has a very central location. There are books you can borrow, tables and chairs where you can relax and enjoy a coffee, board games to play, and a gorgeous green lawn surrounded by trees. Check out more about Bryant Park here.
But most of all…..enjoy this wonderful city that has soooo much to offer!!
I nice broad ranging top 5. So much to see and do there.
Thank you…it’s been too many years since I’ve been there…time to go back 🙂